I am an Assistant Professor at the Department of Economics of the Washington University in St. Louis and a Fellow Scholar at the St. Louis FED. You may find my CV here
[.pdf] and my current research below. What I do is use modern quantitative macro models and tools to address a wide range of questions
on growth and development, business cycles and inequality.
My contact address is: Department of Economics, Seigle Hall 339,
Campus Box 1208;
Washington University in St. Louis,
St. Louis MO 63130-4899.
E-mail me to: rauls[at]wustl.edu, or call me: 1-(314)-935-8195
- Methods versus Substance: the Effects of Technology Shocks on Hours, with Jose-Victor Rios-Rull, Frank Schorfheide, Cristina Fuentes-Albero and Maxym Khrysko (2011)
[.pdf] [Other versions NBER 15373, Minn. FED Staff Report 433 ]
- Journal of Monetary Economics (2012), 59(8), pp. 826-846.
- Redistributive Shocks and Productivity Shocks, with Jose-Victor Rios-Rull [.pdf] [code]
- Journal of Monetary Economics (2010), 57(8), pp. 931-948.
Manuscripts Under Review
- 'How Much are SVARs with Long-Run Restrictions Missing without Cyclically Moving Factor Shares?' (2011) [.pdf] R&R
- 'Disparities in the Battle Against Infertility: The Education Gradient in the Success Rates of IVF Technology in Denmark 1995-2010” (2013), Mallory Leung (WUSTL) and Fane Groes (Copenhaguen B School) [.pdf] [SMDM 2013, Presentation]
- 'Education, HIV Status, and Risky Sexual Behavior: How Much Does the Stage of the HIV Epidemic Matter?', with Daniela Iorio (2011) [.pdf] [companion site] R&R
- 'Aggregate Effects of AIDS on Development' (2008) [.pdf]
- 'Consumption and Income Inequality in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Lifetime with No Humps, Savings Constraints and Low Partial Insurance', with Leandro M. de Magalhaes [.pdf]
- 'Partial Insurance in China 1989-2009: The Effects of Deng Xiaoping's Reforms on Consumption Inequality and the Rural-Urban Divide', with Yu Zheng [.pdf]
- 'Land Misallocation and Productivity', with Diego Restuccia [.pdf]
- 'The Effects of the Capitalization of R&D on the Price of Capital, the Return to Capital and the U.S. Labor Share', with Dongya Koh and Yu Zheng [.pdf]
- 'Productivity and the Shape of the Production Function: Implications for Growth and Level Accounting' [.pdf].
- 'The Shape of the Aggregate Production Function over the Business Cycle and Its Implications for the Labor Market', with Dongya Koh [.pdf]
Some Work in Progress (already presented in seminars(*))
- (*) 'A Quantitative Theory of HIV Diffusion', with Rody Manuelli [slides]
- 'Consumption, Income and Wealth of the Very Poor: Cross-Sectional Inequality and Its Sources in Sub-Saharan Africa', with Leandro M. de Magalhaes (Bristol) and Talip Kilic (World Bank).
- 'Malthus on Its Head: Fertility, Hired Labor, Land Tenure and Aggregate Productivity in Very Poor Countries', with Leandro de Magalhaes (Bristol) and Yu Zheng (City U Hong Kong)
- 'Growth and Preferences: There is No Need for CRRA Felicity Functions', with Jose-Victor Rios-Rull
- 'Consumption Insurance, Default Risk and Aggregate Productivity in Poor Countries: Data and Theory', with Dongya Koh (WUSTL)
- [D.R.Congo: Subjective Expectations on Education Returns] [In progress] Eliciting Subjective Expectations of Returns to Schooling in Developing Countries: Experimental Evidence from the Democratic Republic of Congo , PI. Joint with Abdellah Jamaa (Universite de Versailles) and Jean Franc,ois Trani (WUSTL) [Baseline Questionnaire] [Video]
- [Malawi: HIV Risk, Sociocentric Transfers and Consumption Insurance] [Early Stages] PI. Joint with Jere Berhman (UPenn), Hans-Peter Kohler (UPenn), and Alessandra Voena (Chicago).
Students seeking for teaching materials may find them here:
- Development Economics [Econ 5711, PhD]: sp2014.
- Quantitative Macro [Econ 5725, PhD]: sp2014, sp2012, sp2011, sp2010, sp2009.
- Intermediate Macro [Econ 402, UG]: fall2013, sp2012, sp2011, fall2009, fall2008.
- Growing Kakis (Asian Persimmon) in Algemesi, Valencia  
- La fornera de la placeta dels Angels  
- A Unified Growth Theory for a Small Open Economy: [Camalts Mullats, Xiquets de Calp]
- My pics: running vs not running.